March | WHM
Women’s History Month | Written by Violette de Ayala, Founder and CEO of Femfessionals
As we embark on the month of March and the theme of iconic women, I would like to focus on creating behaviors and intentions that will last beyond the 30 days. Women’s History Month is filled with meme’s depicting empowering statements, images of infamous trailblazing women and posts quoting those that got us to where we are today. We’ve come a long way, baby! It’s a great month of positivity, reflection and general unity to celebrate the choices we have today.
Then there is the other small side of the spectrum. It is also the time of year where closet feminists present themselves solely to keep up with the daily trend and to pronounce a brand twist that may perhaps pick up more followers and subscribers for their platform.
Whatever your reason in engaging in Women’s History Month, it’s still all leading to a community movement of shout outs and gratitude.
What if we took this a bit further? What if we truly supported other women in positivity more long term? What if we behaved like authentic sisters; regardless of race, religion and political votes?
I am proposing that we all take an oath for the next 12 months and take steps to to symbolize strength, community, unity and the power of women.
Here are 5 simple steps we can take this month and throughout the year to make the month of celebrating women further into eternity.
- WORDS: Only share wondrous words of other women. Remove rumors, negative comments and words that hurt. You might say “well, I am just sharing a story”. Here is my tip for story telling; If it doesn’t make the other person shine, or make others love her greater, then don’t share.
- DEBATE: Descriptions like: home mom, working mom, 1 kid, no kid, 8 kids, divorced, married, partnered or single; do they really matter? Let’s call it a day and just honor all choices. We do the best we can in any situation and it all involves love. We are filled with good intentions. Let’s support each other and our decisions even if they were decisions we would perhaps not make for ourselves.
- FRIENDS: This month reach out to old and new girlfriends. Reach out to the ones that bring the best out in you, the ones that make your soul sing, the ones that make you giggle even in dark moments. If you need to fix a friendship, do it this month. Girlfriends need to be a priority and this is the perfect month to reach out and share some love. It’s Women’s History Month…they are part of your history and they helped you become who you are today.
- GRATITUDE: Challenge yourself to share gratitude every day with five women. You can do it throughout the day, all in the evening or in one batch of 10 minutes. It’s simple to do and only two words are needed. Thank. You. It will make them smile, it will make you smile, and it might possibly shift the tilt of the Earth.
- KINDNESS: Be kind to yourself, the ultimate woman in your life. Honor yourself, the struggles you surpassed, the challenges you conquered and the greatness in your life that is still flourishing. Do something that is good for your spirit and remove the talk that doesn’t lift you up. This month is also for you.
Let’s celebrate women from yesterday and those of tomorrow. Let’s commit to supporting one another and create the actions to make women stronger in community beyond 30 days. The change this month, starts with you.
Violette is the Founder of Femfessionals [a global online and local community for women entrepreneurs], a small business expert, writer and mother of three. A serial entrepreneur with 20-plus years of experience, Violette is passionate about supporting women entrepreneurs through business growth, big vision strategies and positivity.