Travel Tips: My Top 10 Travel Essentials
Summer is in full swing which means it’s prime travel season! As someone who spends a lot of time on the
road, I’ve learned there are a few items I CAN’T leave home without.
Trust me, between my day job, TravelBash and my husband’s basketball games, I have experienced my fair
share of “Aww Shit” travel moments from forgotten items—like that time I almost had a meltdown in the
airport because I couldn’t find my headphones!
Planning vacations may be one of my FAVORITE things to do, and planning an unforgettable vacation always
starts with PACKING!
Since I am practically a Professional Vacationist, I figured I should put together a quick list of some go-to items
I always throw into my purse/backpack/carry-on, or whatever you want to call it these days.
Courtnie’s Travel Essentials Packing List
First things first….my travel bag itself.
I don’t usually throw out names because I am not big into designer brands, nor do I happen to be a huge purse
or bag lady. However, I am a loyal #HenriBendel girl, and with that said, the Jetsetter Convertible Nylon
Backpack is my go-to for all personal trips and the West 57th Briefcase for work.
Inside these bags, you will find:
- Earbuds — Of course, you can have the nice fancy noise cancelling headphones or Beats by Dre, but
I’m so cool with just the same ones that came with the phone…. thanks, Apple!
- Reusable plastic bags — For accidents, food, or any other reason. For example, maybe your makeup
spills, maybe you need to put your wet bathing suit or sandals somewhere, or maybe items just need
to be separated. You never know! #GrandmotherTip
- Magazine/book — I carry both! Nothing like the good ol’ smell of the library, and of course Travel +
Leisure, oh how I need thee!
- Eye mask — For those long flights (and the annoying people sitting next to you sometimes).
- Pair of sneakers or flats — Your footsies will thank you later. Comfort is key! (If you opt for the flats,
try Tieks; I just tried them out this year, and they’re so freaky comfortable, especially when traveling
for work. And no, I’m not sponsored by them, I just really like the flat!)
- Sunglasses — “Kill’em girl” sunglasses are a must for both eye protection and sassiness. I am known to
wear sunglasses even when the clouds are out. I have 3 in rotation, right now my Tory Burch are my
- Charger Pack — Do I even have to explain? You shouldn’t leave home without one! No excuse for
phones going dead these days—says the person who’s phone just went dead recently.
- IPad Pro — So, I don’t like carrying big bulky laptops everywhere, yet I wanted something I could use
when I was on the go, but still had everything I need for work. Many people love the MacBook Air, so if
that’s more your speed, go for it! The new IPad Pro though…. gotta love it! I can listen to music/ read
books/ catch up on Netflix and Amazon video, and of course, feed my Google addiction. While I try to
unwind while I’m on vacation, the new tech lover in me must have my iPad, cell phone, charger, and
headphones. (And yet, would you believe I just got a Facebook a few months ago? No, really!)
- Water Bottle — H20, Agua…. Hydration is a must! With a water bottle you can always refill it
throughout the day, and avoid having to buy one everywhere you go. You must stay hydrated—that
jetlag is a real thing.
- Nunn Active Hydration Tablets — This is basically Gatorade without the sugar. They keep you hydrated
and add electrolytes—which also serve as a magical hangover cure.
Note: I neglected saying my cell phone/passport and wallet. I figured these should be the very basics. In my wallet, I always carry a credit card/ debit card/ insurance card and license…. I also throw in some TravelBash
business cards. (wink wink)
Then there is the Mini Beauty Bag—guys, all ladies have one!
Inside that bag, you’ll find the following:
▪ Face towelettes & blotting sheets
▪ Eye drops
▪ BITE Agave Lip Balm (I love, love, love BITE- pick it up at Sephora!)
▪ Mini hand sanitizer (because people are nasty sometimes; and that means those planes, handrails,
escalators and elevators are, too!)
▪ Kate Somerville’s Goat Milk De-Puffing Eye Balm (who wants to look like a raccoon?!)
▪ Mini Hand lotion
▪ Extra ponytail holder and a couple of bobby pins (My hair’s a mess after a plane ride!)
▪ Floss (because the dentist says so!)
▪ Mini Poo-Pourri Toilet Spray (you never know when a girl’s gotta go.)
Travel Note: Hopefully, you know you should be careful. TSA is throwing everything out these days, so make
sure you have no more than 3 oz. liquids in a small plastic baggie. If you are TSA precheck, this will help. I will
discuss TSA pre-check & the benefits in another post, but I would hate for you to lose that new perfume or
lotion because you neglected to double check.
Last year, I spent a fortune on some spa bath smell-good stuff from Bermuda and hubby, not listening of
course, puts it in his backpack—as if I didn’t tell him to put it in his checked bag…. furious! The point is: just be
Some Other Quick Packing Tips
I would also make sure to tag all of your bags, in case of any mix up. Protect your IPad, kill em’ girl sunglasses
and Passport with cute traveling cases, as well. There are tons of options so you shouldn’t have a problem
finding any stylish accessories for your next travel adventure.
So, what am I missing?? What needs to be added to the list? What are some of your can’t-live-without items?
Say Hello and shoot me a note, I would love to hear from you.
Eat, Drink & Be Carried Away