Why business owners don’t embrace social media
One of the big reasons business owners don’t embrace social media is because they don’t know which platform will suit their business. This is something I help my clients figure out at the very beginning. You have to remember, not all social media is created equal, which means, not every platform is going to work for your business.
What do you need to know first and for most before choosing which social media platforms to use?
- Define your goals – you need a sense of direction – a clear vision of where you want to go and what you want to achieve from social media. What do you want your audience to take away from connecting with you?
- Who is your target market? Is your target market small to medium sized companies, large companies, do you sell to B2B (Business to Business) or B2C (Business to Consumer), how much money do they bring in, are they male or female, do you service a certain age group, location, etc.
- Where is your audience? DON’T ASSUME – do your homework first before you assume your audience is on all of the major social media platforms.
- What platforms are your competitors using? Make a list of your local competitors and see what platforms they’re on, what they’re doing, and what’s working for them. Jot down what you like because that’s something you can work into your social media strategy. Then look at other companies outside of your region and look at what they’re doing.
- What type of content are you going to share? Make a list of ideas. If you’re unsure, this is something my clients and I brainstorm about at the very beginning. Always remember the 80/20 Rule – share 80% of educational and valuable information and 20% about you and your company (promotional).
Another reason business owners don’t embrace social media is because they don’t know how to set them up. Something I teach my clients is that your profiles should be 100% complete that way potential customers will know you are serious about your business.
Two other reasons I hear a lot is that it seems too time-consuming to the point of it being daunting and keeping up with the frequent changes is difficult. One of my jobs is staying on top of all those changes (which seem to happen on a daily basis) and keeping my clients informed and make the changes necessary so their platforms are up to date.
Something else I am asked all of the time is “Why should I engage on social media?” Here is what I tell them:
- Your current and potential customers are there
- Being on social media creates visibility for your business
- It establishes credibility – it’s about building KNOW, LIKE & TRUST
- You can monitor your competitors
- Expand your network
- Generate new leads, which equals new business
- Provide people with great customer service – Twitter is a great tool for customer service
So, as you can see, being on social media for your business is a MUST! It’s something you can’t ignore anymore because social media is here to stay!